January is the month that you will find many believers in intense prayer and fasting. This is the time used to speak into the year to pray and commit your year before the Lord. This is an excellent thing to do because being the first month of the year, this is the first fruit of the year, the tithe month of the year. So yes it is important, no its critical to pray and fast the first month of the year as you are setting apart the year for the Lord.
However as we prepare to enter into another year we should likewise spend time shaping, framing, speaking, building the year, before we step into the year. The following four reasons are why you should pray for 2018 before the year comes
1. Hebrews 11:3 “ By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that what is seen was made out of things which do not appear.” Praying in the months of November and December, gives you an opportunity to shape and frame your oncoming year, before it has even begun. It is like building a house. Ideally you first build the house and then you move into the house. When you start praying in the month of January, you are both building the house whilst living in it. Not very comfortable!. You are digging the foundations while living in the hole of the foundation. You are putting up walls while already you are in the house. The rain and the sun beat you while you try to put up the roof.
It would be prudent to build up your house and get into it when it is complete. You can do the finishing and the final touchups when you are in the house. These final touches are the prayer and fasting in January and part February.
Hebrews says we understand that the world was framed by the word of God. Frame your year before the year comes into being. Speak the word that you would want to manifest in that year before the year comes into being.
As the year is preparing to manifest or to show up, package it with what you want to see in the year. Frame it with the word of God. Declare that it is your year of favour, breakthrough, divine health and wealth, growth in your spheres of influence
God spoke and it came into being, you too as you speak it will come into being; Psalms 82:6 “You are gods, and all of you children of the most high”, Proverbs 18:21 “Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits
2. . Secondly praying before you get to the year allows you to deal with family patterns which are set to manifest in the coming year. If you have done a study of your family pattern (I suggest you do so) and see that certain events occur in certain months, or after a number of years and the coming year happens to be the Nth year. Then this is the time to speak and deal with the family pattern in your life before it manifests
Family patterns can be deaths in your family, marriage failures and divorce, sickness and illness, poverty cycles by loss of incomes, court cases, wrong investments etc. If the coming year is the Nth year or a certain month in the year is the Nth month when such events are likely to occur, then you should:
a. Engage in spiritual warfare, cancelling the handwriting of written ordinances that are standing against you and your family (Colossians 2:15).
b. Conduct a courtroom session for you and your family pleading for mercy and the intervention of God so that his mercy may prevail over every judgment set to be executed against you and your family in the coming year. In a nutshell you go before God the judge, bring detailed r
c. Repentance over every sin, iniquity, transgression that would cause the face of God to turn away from you; petition for a verdict of mercy instead of judgment. ( read Hebrew 11:22-25, Daniel 7: 9-10, Zechariah 3)
d. Saturate your environment and especially the suspect months, and year with the word of God. God watches over his word to perform it, it does not go back to him void(Isaiah 55:11)
3. Thirdly praying before you get to the year allows you to become your own prophet as you declare and decree about your life. Job 29:22 You shall decree a word and it shall be established for you. When a prophet of God prophecies over your life they are speaking from either the word of God by revelation that is a Rhema word to you to, or they are speaking from an insight into your books as the Lord has written them (Psalm 139:16, Hebrews 10:7 ).
You may not have the luxury of having a prophet of God prophesy over your life, or he may not have the time to specifically speak and prophesy over your life in a detailed manner as you would like. Notwithstanding that, the word of God is powerful, it is alive, it must come to pass, it releases Angels, anointing, mantles, help for you. You have all the time to speak over your own life, your children, your spouse. Speak the word of God and declare what the word of God says over your life, family, destiny, ministry, Nation,.
As you pray over the incoming year, ask God to give you revelation over who you are so that you can speak it into your atmosphere.
When the Lord brings you into contact with a Man or Woman of God to speak over your life they will affirm what you have been speaking, their voice will add to what you have been praying and declaring.
- Fourthly Praying before you get to the year gives you sufficient time to speak over the gates of every month of the coming year before it shows up. Station the word of God over every gate that you will encounter as you walk through the year. Gates that you will encounter include:
- Gates of months & days. Time gates, as you move day to day, and month to month.
- Gates of a new age. This is on birthdays, of your children, spouses, and your own self.
- Gates of nations. If you are set to travel out of the country during the year
- Special gates: if you are planning on special events like anniversaries, weddings, during the year
- Gates of new things like entering into new ventures, businesses, & projects,
- Education gates: if your children, your spouse or yourself are going to new schools, institutions. This is a key gate and is a destiny defying gate
The months of November and December are critical months, use them well as you prepare to usher in the new year.